Have you ever stopped to wonder what would happen to your body if you stopped eating refined carbs?
It’s no secret that refined and processed carbs contribute to weight gain, and so reducing the amount of these in your diet would logically lead to a leaner, fitter you.
But is it true, or is it hype? And is it really worth giving up your carboholic ways?
Here’s what really goes down when you give up refined carbs…
Body Change #1: You BURN FAT
When you stop eating simple carbs your body no longer has readily available calories to burn, and so it clicks over into burning stored fat as energy. This means that your pants will start feeling looser around your waist and thighs.
Body Change #2: You FEEL LESS HUNGRY
Fat burns longer and slower than simple carbs and so your energy stores will take longer to deplete. This means that you’ll find yourself skipping that afternoon pick-me-up snack and powering through until mealtime without hunger pains. You’ll also notice that it takes longer to feel hunger in the mornings after waking up, once you’ve cut the simple carbohydrates and refined sugars out of your diet.
Low Carb Body Change #3: You HAVE MORE ENERGY
Living on a diet of simple sugars and refined carbohydrates puts your body in a continual energy roller coaster. Right after you eat your energy is high and then, whoosh, an hour later your energy levels crash. All of that changes once you cut out those simple carbs. The low carb meals that you switch to are filled with nutrient dense foods that sustain your energy levels for hours at a time, saving you from that frustrating roller coaster.
Low Carb Body Change #4: Your STOMACH GETS FLATTER
Probably the most coveted of the low carb body changes…once you’ve been off of simple carbs for a few weeks your stomach will visibly become flatter. It’s a well-deserved reward and one that will keep you motivated to continue your healthier eating habits.
While eating healthy, nutritious meals is awesome, don’t forget that exercise is half of the battle when it comes to getting and staying fit. Call or email me today and we will get you started on the exercise program that will reshape your body once and for all!
Craving pumpkin yet this season? Well rather than falling into a major calorie trap by getting your pumpkin fix in a sugary coffee drink or baked goods, give this simple and quick pumpkin soup recipe a try. Made from canned, pureed pumpkin, this soup comes together in minutes and brings out the most comforting flavor of the season in a healthy, satisfying way. Enjoy!
Here’s what you need…
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 Tablespoon coconut palm sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 (15oz) cans pureed pumpkin
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 (14oz) can coconut milk
- black pepper
- **To garnish: pepitas and sour cream
- Place the coconut oil in the bottom of a large soup pot over medium high heat. Add the onion, garlic, coconut palm sugar, allspice, and red pepper flakes. Sauté until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, broth and salt. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. Return the soup to a simmer and add in the coconut milk. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Garnish with pepitas and sour cream. Enjoy!
Nutritional Analysis: One serving equals: 175 calories, 13g fat, 13g carbohydrate, 5g fiber, and 3g protein.
Brought to you by your local Wellness Experts at Fitness Gear & Training (FGT) and 30-Minute Fit
Fitness Gear & Training
1605 N State St
Bellingham, WA 98225