5 Things to do NOW to slim down before the holidays
We are officially on the verge of holiday season…and with it a myriad of food temptations and weight gain traps. Don’t fret, if you act now there’s still time to tighten up and slim down before putting on your holiday finest.
Do these 5 things NOW to quickly shape up…
1. Eat more Veggies: Your mom was right, eating vegetables really is a good idea, especially when aiming to drop pounds. Why? There are a couple of reasons. First, veggies are low in calories and high in fiber, which means that you’re filling up without packing on pounds. Second, the vitamins and minerals in fresh vegetables nourish your body and cut down on cravings.
2. Add five Minutes: Each week, between now New Years, I want you to add 5 minutes to your workouts. Just five more minutes. The slight increase from week to week will hardly be noticeable, but the extra fat burn will pay off nicely. Use these extra five minutes to do intense burst of exercise, such as burpees, squat to presses and walking lunges.
3. Double up on Water: Not only will staying extra hydrated help your skin to have a healthy glow, it will also speed up your fat loss efforts. Most of us are walking around in a state of chronic dehydration, which contributes to fatigue, stubborn weight gain and constipation. By drinking more water throughout the day, and by limiting your intake of caffeinated beverages, you’ll become healthier and more radiant.
4. Eat low Carb (after 4pm): One of the easiest ways to drop a few inches around your waist before the holidays is to eat low carb after 4pm each day. This means eating dinners that are centered around salads and vegetables rather than breads and pastas. If you simply must have your oatmeal or whole grain bread each day, then eat it for breakfast or lunch and give low carb dinners a try – starting with the recipe for Greek Stew below. Don’t forget that sugar counts as carbs, so skip that sugary dessert and try a grapefruit for dessert.
5. Train with Me: If you’re not yet one of my beloved clients, then now is the time. I’d love to get you into phenomenal shape before New Years, and to give you the foundation that will keep you lean and healthy for life.
Call or email today and we will get you started this week on an exercise program that will get you back in control of your body.
Zac@FitnessGearAndTraining.Com or (360) 671-5059
One of the easiest ways to speed up your metabolism, and increase your fat burning, is to get at least six to eight hours of sleep each night. I know that it’s not always easy to get a full night’s sleep, but the benefits are quite worth it. While you sleep your body works to restore itself, a very important process that assists with your fat loss efforts.
Now go to bed already!
You could certainly play around with the protein used in this stew – next time I plan on using good ’ol chicken breast. And it’s also possible to omit the meat if you’d prefer.
Courtesy of RealHealthyRecipes.com
Here’s what you need
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 8 ounces pork tenderloin, trimmed, cubed and seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and dried oregano ¼ cup white wine
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 vine-ripened tomato, seeded and diced
- ¼ cup Kalamata olives, pitted and sliced
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 (15 ounce) can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1½ teaspoons sea salt
- black pepper, to taste
- Place the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for a minute. Add the pork and cook until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Deglaze the pot with wine, scraping up any browned bits. Cook until the wine is nearly evaporated. Stir in the broth, tomato sauce, tomato, and olives. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the spinach and beans until the spinach is wilted and season with salt and pepper. Enjoy!
One serving equals: 123 calories, 4g fat, 9g carbohydrate, 3g sugar, 1134mg sodium, 3g fiber, and 12g protein.
Brought to you by your local fitness and wellness experts at Fitness Gear + Training and 30-Minute Fit
Fitness Gear + Training – FGT
1605 N State St
Bellingham, WA 98225